Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Motifs #19 and 20

Ever want to tat 'something,' but you are not quite sure 'what' that 'something' is?  I tried several patterns, got the center rounds done - sometimes did several rounds of one - and decided it just wasn't what I wanted to work on right now.  FINALLY decided to tat the first 3 rounds of Renulek's Spring 2014 Napkin, since that is what I kept WISHING I had tatted when I started all those other things.  I am happily experimenting with color and thread size.  The first three rounds make a nice little decorative spot of color on a small table, especially if you do them in 'larger' thread sizes (larger than size 80, that is).

The purple version is size 50 thread, a vintage DMC.  The sun was very hot and bright when we took the photograph - I more or less tossed it onto the covered board.  There are a few spots where it apparently got crinkled.  Will have to take a neater photo at some point, but not today - very hot, very humid, and hard to breathe outside today (which is the main reason I just tossed it onto the covered board the day we took the picture - couldn't stay out there very long).


The green doily is Sulky #12-wt (Lime Sherbet) and DMC 80 ecru.  I love the contrast between the green and ecru threads and the large terra-cotta tile.  Although this green version looks larger in the photograph, in real life it is smaller than the purple one. 


-Stephanie

6 comments:

God's Kid said...

Those are both so beautiful!!! :)

Anne said...

Amazing how different colours make the doilies look like two different patterns! I especially love the purple one.

I'm still plodding along on row 7 on the doily. Row 8 is virtually a repeat of row 7.

Jane McLellan said...

I'm a great fan of this pattern, and these two versions both look wonderful.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Yes, I often find myself wanting to tat something and not knowing what! I love both colors, and I am sorely tempted to start another of Renulek's beautiful doilies, but I must finish the one I'm working on first!525

Lilas said...

Magnificent! Both colors are great.

Fox said...

They are both so very different from each other and both beautiful in their own way.