Monday, February 9, 2015

Motifs 4 - 12

Motif #4 is a bookmark.  I started with a traditional tatted 'wheel' and added a chain around the outer edge, then added a long lock chain and a tassel.  Thread is size 20 Lizbeth, but I can't remember the color number.


 
 
I've been tatting some 'edging' samples - trying out various patterns and sometimes various 'orientations' of the same pattern.  My 'samples' are large enough - and some of them took long enough tat - that I decided to count them as 'motifs' for the challenge.
 
Motifs #5 and #6 are different thread sizes, same pattern.  I think it was a 'vintage' Coats & Clark pattern.
 

 
 
Motifs #7, #8, and #9 are different thread sizes and different orientations of the another pattern.  I couldn't decide whether I liked the rows going lengthwise or widthwise, so I did a bit of each.
 


 
 
Motif #10 came from a book of 12 Handkerchief Edgings, by Nikolajsen and Nikolajsen.  I added some extra rows to see what it would look like if it were made a bit wider.
 
 
Motif #11 was a tiny snowflake using size 80 DMC ecru thread.  I wanted to see if ecru matched a piece of fabric, and the best way was to make something with the thread and place it on top of the fabric in question.  It's close, but not quite the same.  There wasn't a specific pattern for this little snowflake, but I've seen similar ones in several books, so it's not my 'original' design, either.
 
 
Motif #12 is my completed TIAS 2015.  Jane Eborall's design kept me guessing until VERY close to the end.  I love the scissors!  It's a clever design and great fun to tat.
 
 
I have the first three rows of Renulek's WIOSNA 2015 doily tatted, but no picture to show you yet. 
 
Happy tatting to you!
-  Stephanie

4 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Are you still tatting with size 80 for these little motifs and edgings? They're all so beautiful! One of the girls came to school with one of your tatted motifs as a necklace last week. I do have quite a few tatters this year, though not as many as last year. They don't seem to want to move beyond chains. Still, they're happy tatters!

God's Kid said...

Looks like you have been busy!!! :)
Everything looks wonderful!!! :)
I love the bookmark!! :)

muskaan said...

Enjoyed the results of your 'experimentation' :-))
I like the way you attached the 2nd row on Motifs 5&6 ... creates a whole other perspective.
Great tatting :-)

Fox said...

I keep going back to this post. I find it very inspiring. : ))