Saturday, May 16, 2015

Motif #17

I've been doing just a bit more experimenting with tatted, beaded fringe.  This time I tried using size 20 Lizbeth (because I had an almost-full shuttle left after finishing something), size 11 beads, and a nylon thread that is about the equivalent of size 80.

The rings were made with size 20 thread, which was also what I used as the 'core' thread for the chainsl  The fringe was 15 beads long with a 16th bead used as a 'stopper' bead to keep the rest of the beads in place on the 'string.'  I used the thin nylon thread for the 'knotting' thread on the chains (and for the beads). 



Our weather has been mostly cloudy for the last couple days, so the picture is a bit dark.  We had a small amount of sunlight TRYING to get through late this afternoon.  DH noticed there was a little light, and he was kind enough to grab the camera and my tatting to rush outside for a quick picture before the clouds completely covered the sun again.  You can see part of the shadows from my pins.

Happy tatting!
- Stephanie

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Motifs 14, 15, and 16

Motif #14

I've been experimenting with beads lately.  This is my first attempt at a beaded fringe.  I think my thread was too large - I used size 20 Lizbeth and size 10 beads.  My tatting was a bit too tight, also - the fringe doesn't move much; it is pretty stiff.  With a smaller thread size, I think the fringe will be more flexible.  The beads were some of the last in a bag of mixed beads - all size 10, but some had AB coating on them, some were clear glass, some were silver-lined, a few had a slightly 'different' shape.  If you look closely you can see the variegated thread color showing through the clear beads.



Motif #15

My next experiment was adding long beaded picots to a tatted 'wheel.'  When I had almost finished the entire wheel, I realized that I should have put some beads on the shuttle to use in the center on the bare thread spaces.  Thread is a white nylon thread - approximately equal to a size 40 cotton thread.  Beads are size 11.  Instead of putting the completed wheel into my 'stash' of tatted things, I got restless one day and sewed it to one of my small 'project' bags.  It's already filled with one of my current tatting projects!



Motif #16

I ordered the Shuttle Brothers' book Tatting GR-8 Baubles, Bugs, and Blossoms recently. 

Here's the web site if you want the book, too:

http://www.gr-8shuttles.com/tatting_gr8_baubles.shtml

It took me a few days to get 'brave' enough to try my first bauble.  These are my first two.  The second one was MUCH easier than the first one.  I've already got gray and pink thread, so I'm ready to try a mouse and a possum (opossum) once I have a little more practice tatting the simpler baubles.


I'm still working on Renulek's WIOSNA 2015, but don't have a picture to show you.  I've been doing some test tatting, also, but don't have pictures I can show you of those pieces, either.

Happy tatting to you!
- Stephanie