Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Motifs 9 - 14

Motif #9 is the bunny from Jane Eborall's TIAS 2016 that started back in January!  He is a cute little guy, and he seems quite pleased with his carrot.  He is tatted in Lizbeth threads, size 20, except for the carrot greens - I didn't have any green Lizbeth, so I used an 'unknown' thread (label fell off long ago) for that part.


 
I have been experimenting with color and assorted threads again this year.  I've been tatting a doily, then thinking "I wonder what it would look like if I used...." As a result, there are several of the same doily in my little stack.  This first one Omega thread #50.  I like the variegated color - it reminds me of coloring with crayons when I was a child.  This is one of the patterns by the late Jan Stawasz.  Isn't the shape and the way he used negative space fascinating?
 
 
 
The next one is done in Perfect Quilter.  Unfortunately this thread is no longer available.  It is one of my favorites for tatting.  I sometimes think of it as 'Perfect Tatter,' but it is really a quilting thread.  It is approximately equal in size to DMC 80.  This yellow ombre is such a nice, warm, and happy color to me.
 


I have some tiny balls of thread that have no 'size' on the label, but it is definitely a 6-cord thread (I unravelled a small piece to satisfy my curiosity).  I am not sure who the manufacturer was, either, but it is very nice thread, and seems to be slightly smaller than size 80, at least with my tatting tension.

I used a ball of bright yellow for this one - the same Jan Stawasz pattern as above.  Although it doesn't show in the pictures, this one is slightly smaller than the one tatted with Perfect Quilter.  It is still very, very close to being equal to a size 80, but if you put two pieces together, the difference can be seen.




The last of the Stawasz doilies (for now) is pink.  I used two shades of pink - those tiny, balls with no size on the label. 


This last one for today is tatted in a Sulky Cotton Blendables #12-weight.  It has a nice luster to is.  This is a machine embroidery/machine quilting thread, and the 'heavy' #12 weight is another 'approximate equal' to DMC 80.  It is softer than many of the threads I often use, but I like the way it tats, like the way it feels in my hands, and like the colors - there are so many colors available.  The pattern is by the late Mary Konior; it is called "Primrose Path."  It is one of my many favorites.




I finished Row 12 of Renulek's WIOSNA 2016, but forgot to get a photograph. 

Happy tatting to you!
   - Stephanie






4 comments:

God's Kid said...

Ooooh fabulous tatted pieces!!! :) Love the Primrose Path doily!!! :)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

You have accomplished so much! That bunny is adorable. I haven't started hime yet, but I do have each day printed out. I've never tatted Jan Stawasz patterns in anything other than size 20. I like that you've tried the same pattern in several threads. Of those you've listed, I think the Sulky Blendables 12 wt is my favorite. I think I might have some Perfect Quilter around here that I used for quilting. If I do, I think I'll try some tatting with it.

muskaan said...

Quite a collection of tatting & experimentation ! Very interesting thread experiments - difficult to choose a favorite :-)
Some day I will tat the bunny . And the Primrose Path doily is simply Gorgeous !!!

Jane McLellan said...

Wow, beautiful tatting. I especially like the MK but they're all lovely.